A child counselor provides counseling on a variety of child problems and disorders, such as relationship issues, depression due to various issues like amity issues, family problems, exam-related anxiety, and learning difficulties such as dyslexia. Often these counselors need to counsel parents too, to address the root cause of a problem.
A child counselor can help children become more mentally and emotionally stable, which can help them become healthier and happier adults.
A child counselor can get job in hospitals, health centers, schools, children's homes, juvenile detention centers. They can work independently also depends on the experience.
In hospitals and health centers, a child counselor treats a number of mental and emotional disorders and illnesses. In schools, they help children in overcoming with education-related issues.
Duties of a child counselor:
- Identify the problem by using different methods like communication, play therapy etc.
- Communicating to the parents to identify the root cause of the problem
- They gathered information through their observations, interviews, surveys, and other methods used
- Offer long term counselling for those patients suffering from mental health disorders
- Write reports, articles, research theory, and to share collected data
- Studies the behavior and brain functions
A master degree in psychology is must become a child counselor. If you go for a Ph.D. or Doctoral Work, it will be great for your career growth.
The earning of a child counselor depends on specialty, location, and popularity of oneself. A beginner can easily get between Rs. 2 to 3 lakh. Experience and location have a moderate effect on income for this job.
There are endless opportunities available in this field. They can get jobs in various universities, colleges & schools, hospitals, clinics, government agencies, etc. In India, it is still a growing sector, because the jobs are huge in metro cities but still the small cities and the villages are far from these services.