The Bachelor of Naturopathy and Yogic Sciences (BNYS) is a medical degree graduation programme course. This course covers the study of both naturopathy and modern medicine as integrative medicine and therapeutic yoga or yoga medicine MD (Naturopathy), MD (Yoga) and MD (Acupuncture). The curriculum is taught in English with additional language to it as Sanskrit too by several Medical Universities.
BNYS medical graduates are equivalent to MBBS medical graduate as more than half of the curriculum is same as MBBS. A graduate in Bachelor of Naturopathy and Yogic Sciences (BNYS) possesses knowledge of yoga therapy as well as practice besides getting a big advantage in the job market.
Some study areas that covered in this course are nutrition therapy, homeopathic medicine, acupuncture, natural childbirth and herbal medicines. The subjects includes History of Naturopathy, Pathology, Nutrition, First Aid, Medical Jurisprudence, Management of Health Problems amongst others.
In India, some colleges currently offer diploma, undergraduate or postgraduate courses in naturopathy and the counting will increase in future as the Indian government is focusing on encouraging this.
Duration: The Bachelor of Naturopathy and Yogic Sciences (BNYS) is basically a four and half year programme which has to be followed by a one year internship. A total 5 and half years of course it is.
The person having a BNYS., Medical Degree can practice medicine as General Practitioner (GP) anywhere in India or abroad under different State Medical Councils. People are now becoming aware that a natural approach to healing works. As a result, more career opportunities in natural medicine are opening up than ever before.
A BNYS doctor can work in following domains after completion of the degree:
- General practice in a private clinic or as a medical officer in a hospital as general practitioner with minimum infrastructure; government and private
- National Rural Health Mission (NRHM) under AYUSH system of medicine as well as modern medicine in PHC level in all states of India as well as abroad
- Academic teaching hospital, research or resident medical officer, general physician as well as specialist in naturopathy medicine or medical scientist in various government and non-governmental organizations.
- As stress management consultants or lifestyle management consultants in IT companies, other corporate sectors, corporate hospitals & wellness centres
- Jobs as spa managers and spa therapists across hotels/ resorts both in India and abroad
While the pay package at the beginning can be about Rs 20,000-25,000, it can go up significantly in no time as employers would need talented people.
Some Institutes in India: