A museum curator is someone who oversees the museum collections. His/her main job is to oversee and manage the museum exhibits, acquiring new items for the museum, managing their safe transport and oversee the setup. Curator often represents the museum and its pieces to the public as well. They might be called on to answer questions about the history of a given piece of art or artifact.
As a Museum Curator, one should have knowledge of all items available in the museum, for which he/she needs to do lots of research and prepare documents also. Large Museums often have many different positions with different role and responsibilities.
Job and responsibilities of a Museum Curator:
- Managing the collection and keeping the display safe
- Research and buy new items to expand and improve educational and research facilities
- Maintaining records and cataloguing acquisitions
- Deciding on the flow and pattern of visitor's movement
- Helping in preparations of brochures or museum guide
- Panning and managing the exhibitions or events
- Dealing with the all kinds of enquiries
A bachelor degree is a must but master degree got preferences. A degree in any discipline will work, but Art, history, archeology, museum studies, or a related field is preferred.
Here are few colleges for study:
- National Museum Institute of History of art, conservation and Museology, New Delhi
- Department of Museology, Calcutta University
- Banaras Hindu University
It's a very interesting career options and only for those who are passionate about art and history.
It's a normal daytime job like other 9 to 5 jobs. Sometime the curator needed to work for extra hours like at the time of any exhibition or event or while setup new items in the museum.
One who has a few years of experience can expect a salary between Rs. 15,600 to 39,100. That depends on the position, experience, and the location.
One can find the curator job in a national/local museum or gallery, independent museum/gallery and heritage centers.