An optometrist is a person skilled in examining patients' eyes, conducting vision tests and diagnosing and treating sight problems. The main responsibilities of an optometrist include examining patients of all ages to detect vision defects, diseases or injuries; producing reports that detail patients' visual exam histories to supply the best care; providing advice to patients who may need lenses or frames; and writing referrals to other vision specialists when appropriate.
Job and responsibilities of an Optometrist:
An Optometrist typically does the following:
- Perform vision tests and analyze results
- Diagnose sight problems and eye diseases
- Prescribe eyeglasses, contact lenses, and other visual aids
- Perform minor surgical procedures to treat the vision problems
- Provide the pre and post operative care to patients undergoing eye surgery
- Evaluate patients for the presence of other diseases and conditions, such as diabetes or hypertension and refer to the related health care specialist
A bachelor degree of Optometry
is must to pursue this career, to pursue the bachelor degree one need to clear the 10+2 from a recognized institution with Physics, Chemistry, and Biology as main subjects and minimum 50% marks in aggregate. The degree course is about 4 years.
The average salary (payscale
) for an Optometrist is Rs 284,736 per year. Experience has a moderate effect on pay for this job.
The optometrists have diverse job opportunities available in front of them. They can operate on an independent basis by establishing their own eye clinic, optical shop, lens manufacturing unit, etc. They can also work with Optician showrooms, Eye doctors, contact Lens and Ophthalmic lens industry, hospital Eye departments etc. Optometrists can also seek employment with any multinational organization dealing with eye care products as professional services executives or take up teaching as a career.