A Gym/Fitness trainer is a professional who works with an individual or group, teach them and guide them with different exercises to stay fit and healthy. He/she instruct or guide clients through various exercises and motivate them. A fitness trainer can specialize in yoga, aerobics, and gym activities including cardiovascular exercise (exercises for the heart and blood system), strength training, and stretching etc.
Role and Responsibilities:
- Motivating the clients to stay healthy and fit
- Create the training program as per the client needs
- Demonstrate proper use of different equipments and techniques
- Monitor the clients' progress and provide the feedback
- Keep an eye on all client activities and make sure the safety
- Provide the proper diet chart as per client requirements
- Enforce the rules and regulations
- Provides first aid when needed
There is no specified education required to pursue this career, but a high school diploma is a must for every aspirant. An increasing number of employers require fitness workers to have a bachelor degree related to a health or fitness field, such as exercise science, kinesiology, or physical education. Programs often include courses in nutrition, exercise techniques, and group fitness.
Also, a certification from a reputed gym or fitness institution helps you in getting a job quicker. Some national/international gym prefers a proper degree or diploma in health and fitness.
Anyone who wants to start this career should possess follow skills:
- Must be fit and healthy and can be a role model for the clients
- Should have knowledge of proper use of all kinds of equipments
- Should have the knowledge of all kinds of exercises
- Should be a good listener, it helps to understand the client's requirements
- Should be good in communication as needs to communicate daily with different kind of people
- Should have knowledge of different health nutritious and their use and impact
- Knowledge of different exercises and their side effect in different health conditions
Who should choose this career
- Who passionate about health and fitness
- Who know the art of motivate
How to be there?
- First get a degree or a diploma from a reputed institution in the related field
- Join an established fitness trainer as an assistant to get real life work experience
- After having good experience can start working individual
Working hours depend on the workplace. Some fitness gym or club open full day so a trainer must do a full time job. Some open in morning and evening time only. If you work as a personal trainer and provide home services, then its depend on your client timing.
A Gym/fitness trainer or instructor can on an average get a monthly salary in the range of Rs 15,000 to Rs 25000 this may considerably go higher, but it's depending on the reputation of the center, locality, clientele, number of clients and most important if associated with any celebrity. Personal trainers who go home to train individual get higher.
As the awareness toward health increasing in people so the demand for the fitness professionals. One can get job in health clubs, fitness or recreation centers, gyms, country clubs, hospitals, universities, yoga and Pilate's studios, resorts etc.
Celebrities like film stars or sports person also nowadays has their own personal fitness trainer, if one can reach this level it can be a great career option.
If you have enough experience and have enough money for investment, then you can start your own gym too.
Pros and Cons
- Always stay fit
- Get a chance to get in touch with different type of people
- Seems to role model
- Will have a good reputation
- Can face uncooperative and difficult people
- May need to work in the early morning, night and weekends too
- Travel to client locations
- Need to work hard to keep fit and healthy