Dubbing is a process to replace the dialog of any movie / TV serial from one language to another like Tamil, Telugu to Hindi and vice versa. The dubbing/voice over artist is the person who lends his / her voice for any character. Movies are not only the work area for dubbing artists, they can also get the job in TV/radio commercials, corporate narrations, animation movies or cartoons, E-learning companies etc.
Job of dubbing artists:
It's just not about giving your voice, but you have to laugh, cry and pause at the right time and speak in the right tone. A dubbing artist has to really get into the character and live the character to make the dubbing perfect. He/she has to understand the character, tone of the language of the character etc. One can master in this by the practice of pronunciations, diction and learning to adapt voice over to different situations. A dubbing/voice over artist must be able to do characters ranging from different ages and sex to animals and various personalities.
Skills required for a Dubbing Artists:
The most precious skill of any dubbing artist is his/her voice. Other than this, a dubbing artist must have:
- Good command over language he/she wants to work with
- Clear pronunciations and voice clarity
- Ability to effectively modulate their voice according to the character's performance.
- Excellent dialogue delivery, lip sync, timing, emotion in their voice, tone and pauses to synchronize with the gestures and body language of the character in the original soundtrack or visuals.
Observing different people's style of talking, their mannerisms and habits will help you to perform better.
There is no specific qualification required to pursue this career. One who has a strong voice and strong command on any language can go for this. There are some courses also available that anyone can pursue after 10th standard. Most of the courses are one to three months long. But above all, constant practice and voice exercise are needed to succeed in this field.
Some Institutes for dubbing / voice over courses:
Indian Voice Overs
Livewires - the media Institute
Film City Mediaz Inc.
RK Film and Media Academy
Who should choose this career
As this career is not dependent on any degree or diploma, so anyone with the required skills can go for it. But remember, it requires a lot of hard work to establish yourself in this field.
How to be there?
It's not something like you got a degree and then start applying for a dubbing artist job. You need to work hard to establish yourself a dubbing artist.
- First of all you have to work on pronunciations and voice clarity. Start recording your voice sample and hear it and if you are not happy repeat this process until you satisfied. You can also take help of your friend, family member to get their opinion on your recording.
- Create some good voice recording samples and upload them on the different voice bank available on the internet.
- You can start your own website, blog or YouTube channel to show your talent.
- Make a strong network and connect with like-minded people and submit your CV and voice samples in recording studios. You will be contacted if they required new voice for their work.
- Take help of agents also to find job.
There is no fix working hours and timings. It's all depends on the assignment you got and the timeline.
In terms of earnings, this field offers extreme flexibility, many choices, and independence. One can earn per day basis, contract basis or monthly basis depends on the nature of the work.
The pay scale in this field depends on the script, length of the work, the complexity of the character and of course their popularity. One can easily earn between Rs. 1500 to 2500 a day or between Rs. 30,000 and Rs 40,000 per month.
Payment in TV serials/cartoons is per episode basis and one can easily get Rs. 1000 to 1500 per episode, but it's also depending on the complexity and popularity of the character. You can get much more than this.
For E-Learning projects, you'll get paid by per hour or per page. You can easily get 600 - 1000 per page or hour.
If you got the chance to work in movies and got the chance to dub any famous actor/actress, it'll be a lucky draw for you. An established artist
As the TV and film industry is growing and with the globalization, the demand of dubbing artists is growing day by day. The movies are nowadays dubbed in many languages; TV shows also being dubbed in various languages. So the opportunities are huge in this field.
There is huge demand of dubbing artists for:
- Movies and Televisions serials
- Animation movies
- Cartoon serials
- Video and Audio Ads
- Voice over for presentation and illustrations
- Audio books
With hard work, dedication and courage, aspirants will surely get a break in the field. Once your voice gets established, there won't be no looking back. You can live with fame and money made with your own voice. You can choose it as a part time job with your study or can make it a full-fledged career.
Pros and Cons
- Name and fame both will follow you
- Lots of money
- Opportunity to meet celebrities
- Lots of struggle
- Continue hard work required