We can call them flight attendants or cabin crew also, they are members of an aircrew working with an airline company. They are primarily responsible for making sure the safety and comfort of passengers. They are also trained to deal with the emergency situation and providing first aid to passengers. Their job is to make sure that each passenger has a pleasant flight experience.
This career is mostly chosen by women, but men can also choose this and we call them Air Host or Stewards. This career not only gives a job, but provides the opportunities to visit different places, meet new peoples, celebrities, and business tycoons etc.
Job and responsibilities:
The tasks vary depending on the
journey time and size of the team. But common duties of an Air Hostess include:
- Attending the pre-flight meeting to know about the flight details like their working position, passenger details like flight schedule, number of infants in the flight etc
- Checking and ensuring that enough security equipments are on the flight and working properly
- Ensuring about the adequate supply of refreshments
- Greeting the passengers at boarding time and directing toward their seat
- Demonstrate the safety procedure and use of equipments to the passengers
- Ensuring all hand luggage is securely stored away
- Ensuring all passengers fasten their seat belts before take off
- Assist the passenger with special needs and help the nervous passenger to calm
- Serving the meal and refreshments
- Complete the paper work like writing a flight report
- Good communication skills
- Excellent Customer Service Skills
- Pleasant personality and good physique
- Positive Attitude
- Sense of responsibilities
- Team skills and supportive
- Ability to work for long hours
- Language Proficiency
At least 12th pass. Graduation from Hotel management and tourism will give you extra benefit
Age should be in 18 to 25
The Minimum height required is 157.5 cm for female and 170 cm for male
Weight in proportion to height
Normal eyesight of 6/6 uncorrected in both eyes
Some airline hired only unmarried candidates
Should have a valid Indian Passport
Fair to clear complexion
Who should choose this career
If you have a pleasant personality, love to meet new peoples, easily go with a different kind of people and love to travel than you choose this career without a second thought.
How to be there?
Follow the following path to join this career:
- Complete your education (12th / graduate from Hotel Management)
- Join an air hostess training academy
- Apply for the jobs in airlines. Many airlines give advertisement in newspapers for recruitment
- Pass the exam conducted by the company
- First the candidate have to go through the written exam
- This is followed by the Interview and the group discussion
- Candidate who passed all these tests got selected
- After selection each candidate has to go through the training
- During the training they have to go through different written and practical tests.
- After that they have to go through the on job training under the experienced air hostess. This training may be for 6 months to 1 year
They work in shifts that include irregular and unsocial work hours. It can be early in the morning, late night, on weekends or public holidays too. So the work hours and timings are not fixed.
The salary can vary depending on the airline as some pay better than others. International airlines pay more compared to domestic. In Domestic airlines, an air hostess can earn 24,000 - 40,000 in the beginning of a career and at a senior level, it can be 50,000 to 75,000 or more depending on the airlines.
In international airlines, the salary for beginners can be between 50,000 - 75000 and for an experienced, it can be between 80,000 to 2 Lakh.
There are many airlines companies in India like air India, Indigo, Indian Airlines, Go Air, Jet Airways, Gulf Air, Tata and more. One may get a job in any one of these after the completion of the course and training.
An Air Hostess have an 8-10 years average career span. After that, they can move to ground duties like job of check hostess, training of air hostess or work with management level.
Pros and Cons
- High Income
- Opportunity to travel around the world for free
- Flexible working hours
- Odd working hours
- Lots of travelling and long work hours
- Less time for friends and family