Ultrasound technician also known as diagnostic medical sonographer works on the sonographic scanner machines to create the image of patient's internal organs. They play a critical role in aiding doctors in diagnosis and treatment. The treatment of many critical diseases is depending on the report created by the Ultrasound technician. The doctors will only get the detail and know about the seriousness of any disease with this report and diagnose accordingly.
The responsibilities of an Ultrasound technician are:
- Operating the sonographic machines
- Explain the procedure to patients and answer questions if any
- Positioning the patients properly for ultrasound imaging
- Perform the ultrasound as per the doctor's advice and capture image every part that must be assessed.
- Evaluate the captured images and select the best images to show the physician.
- Prepare the computerised detail report along with images
- Keep the patient's record for medical history
- Maintain the sonographic equipments
- Supervise the others that are working as an Ultrasound Technician
- Stay up to date with the latest technologies
To become an Ultrasound technician required skills are:
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Knowledge of latest sonographic machines and technologies
- Skills to handle the handheld device perfectly while looking at the monitor
- Knowledge of computer and related software
- Detail oriented
- Strong stamina and fitness as sometimes he/she needs to work long hours and on the feet
- Ability to lift and move the patient as needed
- Must have patience
- Time management skills
- Must be service oriented as it is a profession to help others
To pursue this career, you have to earn an associated degree, diploma or specialized certification from recognized institutions. There are many certification courses that you can join after 10th also. The duration of courses may vary from one-year certification for an extensive four-year degree program.
How to be there?
First get your associated degree or diploma
After that, get training under an experience technician
Start applying for jobs or if you wish, you can start your private practice too
Ultrasound technician job is a regular work hour job. They normally work 40 hours weekly, but sometime during the emergency, they need to work overtime also. If you are working in or running your own lab and providing in-home services also then you need to do travel also.
In the beginning, an Ultrasound technician can get a salary between 10,000 to 15,000, it also depends on the place you are working. If you are doing private practice, then you can earn more than a job in hospitals.
As the health sector is growing, the demand for experts also with it. The Ultrasound technicians can get a job in physician's office, clinics, diagnostic laboratories and hospitals.