Skills for an Insurance Agent:
- Attend company meetings and programs to learn about new products and services.
- Contact to the potential customer and setup a meeting
- Meet the customer on schedule date
- Advise a policy: It's all depends on the customer needs and savings. First, he/she should discuss and know about the clients saving, and existing insurance policies, if any. Ask client about specific requirements, if any, and based on all these advise the best plan.
- Help customer in filling up all forms properly and check all documents needed
- Submit all the document to the office
- Follow up with the office until all process completed
- Let customer know about the current progress
- Make sure the customer will get all the policy documents after process completion
- Follow up with the customer for renewal of policy or premium payment
- Provide all information to customer whatever and whenever he/she asked
- Help customer in the claim process if any
- Help customer in all process after the period completion of policy
But there is no shortcut in this sector for success. You have to learn with your own experience. As it is a profession, where you asked people to invest their hard earned money somewhere, you have to work hard to convince people. The Insurance agent job is already having a bad reputation due to misleading people by some agents and selling wrong policies to earn more commission.
- Good Listener: Should be good listener to understand what the customer is saying and ask questions if needed. It will help in understanding the customer's requirements.
- Communication skills: Good communication skills help in conveying information effectively and understand others.
- Service Oriented: The job of an insurance agent is to help others, so he/she should be services oriented to get success.
- Presentation skills: When selling insurance, your ability to speak and present go hand in hand. The content and your verbal presentation are the two main points of any presentation. You want to be clear and direct when you speak. Look at your prospect rather than away from him.
- Time Management: It will help you in saving your time and your customer time as well.
- Analytic skills: This will help during customer claim evaluation or policy premium calculation. Also help in determining the best plan for customers as per their financial position.
- Monitoring: Monitoring the self performance and the other working with you.
- Management of personnel Resources: Motivating, developing, and directing people working with you and your team.
- Socially active: Should be socially active. It will help in meeting more people and create a network.
- Good Memory: This will help you in remembering details about all policies of the company. It'll give you confidence while meeting customer as you don't need to check papers for policy detail and you can talk more confidently to them
Who should choose this career
How to be there?
Pros and Cons
1. Opportunity to meet and make contact with new peoples
2. No degree required
3. Can earn high income
1. Take years to make reputation and customer
2. No stability of the job
3. Target based job