Cooking is not a daily routine work anymore. It's become an art now and the person who is the master in this art, we call them Chef. A chef is a highly trained and skilled professional cook who is proficient in all aspects of food preparation of a particular cuisine. S/he is the in charge of the kitchen wherever s/he works. They direct kitchen staff and handle any food-related concerns. You'll find different types of Chef like Sous chef, Executive Chef,etc.
Job and responsibilities of a Chef:
- Overseeing, Supervise and coordinate activities of cooks and other kitchen workers
- Check the quality and freshness of food and ingredients
- Plan menus and ensures uniform serving sizes and quality of meals
- Preparing the recipes and determine how to present the food
- Hire and train new staff
- Order and maintain the inventory of food and supplies
- Overseeing all the kitchen activities and follow safety standards
Skills need for a Chef:
- Keen interest in food and cooking
- Good communication skills
- Good habits of cleanliness and hygiene
- Management and organization skills
- Ability to work under pressure
- Ability to do multitasking
- Quick decision making skills
- Master in using all kitchen accessories
- Ability to work with a team
- Motivational skills
- Keep updating yourself with new cooking technology
- Should have the desire to try new cooking recipes
To become a chef and find job in big hotels or restaurants, you should have a degree in hotel management and catering technology or culinary art. There are many diploma or certification courses also available to advances your career.
Who should choose this career
Cooking is an art and its needs a passion for becoming successful. If you love food, cooking and love to experiment with food recipes then it will be a perfect career option for you.
How to be there?
>First of all, get a degree in hotel management and catering technology. You can also choose to do a diploma or certification course from a reputed institute.
>After completion of degree or diploma join any hotel or restaurant kitchen as a trainee
>After successfully completing your training, you moved to beginner position in kitchen
>After a few years of experience you can become a chef
>After a few years of experience as a chef, you can become a Sous chef
>After 10-12 years of experience you can become an Executive chef
As a Chef, you need to work for long hours and late night too. The schedule will be very busy and on weekends and during holidays it got tighter.
At the beginning level one can earn an around 7000 - 10000 PM. After a little bit experience the expected salary can be 15000 - 30000 and after that it will depend on your experience and position. One Sous chef can earn around 50,000 and an executive chef can expect a salary of 70000 - 100000 PM.
As a Chef, you can get job in hotels, restaurants, railways, airlines, ship and hospitals etc. You can be a recipe book writer, cooking show host, event caterer, wedding caterer, restaurant manager, Deputy Chef, Chief Chef, pub manager, etc. As the hospitality sector is growing in India, the scope in this field is also growing and if you have the skills then you can earn handsome money as a chef.
You can start your own restaurant or catering business also.