In today's competition time, marketing is required for everything to let people know about it. Either any company launching a new product or service, organizing any event, etc. everything needs marketing today.
The marketing manager is the person who responsible to prepare marketing strategies, budget and analyze the result of the campaign.
Job and responsibilities of a Marketing Manager:
The job of a marketing manager depends on the organisation and the sector you work. But the common job and responsibilities include:
- Managing all the marketing activities of the marketing department
- Researching and analyzing latest marketing trend
- Researching about the product / service demand
- Prepare plans and marketing strategies to increase the product / service demand
- Identifying the target audience and the way to reach them
- Preparing strategies
- Overseeing the marketing budget
- Making sure the campaign run to deadline and under budget
- Monitor and report on effectiveness of campaign
- Preparing strategies for all kinds of marketing medium like newspaper, TV, social media etc.
Skills for a Marketing Manager:
- Strong communication skills
- Analyzing skills
- Creative approach
- Organizing and planning skills
- Ability to handle the pressure and meet deadlines
- Management and leadership skills
- Good business sense and budgeting skills
Bachelor Degree in Marketing or business administration like (BBA) can lead your way, but many employers prefer Master Degree in Marketing or business administration.
Who should choose this career
If you have creative ideas and love to meet new people then definitely you can go for this career.
How to be there?
Professional Diploma or bachelor degree in marketing can lead you to this career, but you need 4 - 5 years of experience as a marketing executive before step into management. For management level jobs, the employer first sees the experience and knowledge in related filed then education.
Normally this is a 9 to 5 regular hour job, but it can be irregular like at the time of launching a new campaign, attending trade fairs or exhibition or networking events.
With good experience and knowledge, one can earn an average salary of 8 - 12 lac per annum. But it's depending on the industry you work in and the experience you have.
Today everything needs marketing. Companies either small or big, need strong marketing strategies to reach their potential customers. Either you launch a website, organizing any event everything needs marketing. So scope in this field for the right candidate is very high.
Pros and Cons
1. High income
2. Many degree programs available
3. Not industry dependent
1. High competition
2. Normally long work hours and sometimes work on weekends too
3. Pressure to meet deadline