Interior design is the art or process of designing the interior, often including the exterior, of a room or building. An interior designer is someone who coordinates and manages such projects.
The profession of interior design is relatively new and creative profession that is consistently changing and evolving. The main responsibility of an interior designer is to make the space more beautiful and useful by using the structural design, colour schemes, lighting, ventilation, furniture and furnishing.
The interior designers work is not only limited to commercial spaces, the space can be home, office/industrial unit, shops/hotels/restaurants, public or private buildings, vehicles like ships and aircrafts.
An interior designer may wish to specialize in a particular type of interior design in order to develop technical knowledge specific to that area. Types of interior design include residential design, commercial design, hospitality design, healthcare design, universal design, exhibition design, furniture design and spatial branding.
The job and responsibilities of an interior designer:
- Understanding the client's requirements
- Make a plan by considering the client's requirements and available space
- Prepare a the preliminary design plan
- Specify materials and furnishings, such as lighting, furniture, wall finishes, flooring, and plumbing fixtures
- Meet with the client and discuss the preliminary design for approval
- Make the final plan
- Decide the timelines for the project and estimate the cost
- Place orders for materials and oversee installing the design elements
- Overseeing the work to make sure everything working as per plan and on time
An interior designer has to work closely with Architectures, structural engineers, mechanical engineers, and builders to determine how interior spaces will function, look, and be furnished. Interior designers read blueprints and must be aware of building codes and inspection regulations.
An Interior Designer must have the following skills:
- Technical skills that include CAD and model making skills
- Drawing skills the includes perspective drawing and spatial awareness
- Creativity and Imagination skills
- Ability to visualize the concept and explain it to others
- Managing and organizing skills to complete projects on time
- Strong communication skills
- An awareness of building and safety regulations
- Teamwork skills
- Marketing skills
Interior designers usually need a bachelor's degree with a focus on interior design like Bachelor in Fine Arts with specialization in Interior Design. Many other diploma and certification courses also available, that you can choose from to enter in this field.
As this is a career which is not only depends on education, but you need creativity too. So people, who are passionate about design and are artistic, can join this career.
Only degree or diploma is not enough to become a successful interior designer. You need training first to get expert in this field. For this, you can join already famous Interior designer to assist or can join any interior designer agency as a trainee.
Most Interior designers don't work regular hours; they may need to work on weekend also to meet the deadlines and to oversee the project. Usually they need to work with client and other teams so they need to schedule their time according to their time schedule.
It's all depends on the employer and experience. The beginner can earn from 15,000 to 25,000 and an experienced person can earn 40,000 to 70,000 PM
Interior designers usually work for architects or design consultancies in private sectors or for commercial organizations with in-house design department.
You can choose to work as a freelancer too, but to set up your own business, you have got some experience first.