Bank PO or Bank Probationary Officer is a starting level appointment of bank officers. It is called Probationary Officer because the person who selected will be on a probation period of 2 years. During this period the officer is exposed to different types of banking works. A PO holds the post of an assistant manager on probation.
After selection, the PO goes through a training program of 10 to 20 days or the duration depends on the Bank. After completion of training, the officer can send to any branch all over India. During this period they may undergo frequent transfers or deputations.
Role and Responsibilities of PO in Banks:
- Customer Services: Often POs are required to handle the customers of the banks, used to guide them about the banking facilities and products available to them, like issuing Cheque books, ATM cards, Demand Draft, etc. Customer complaints like discrepancies in accounts, rectification of undue charges are also handled by them.
- Practical Knowledge: During the probation period they are trained from having the practical knowledge in finance, accounting, marketing, billing as well as investment. This is done by entrusting them with jobs of various categories, viz. any of the routine works such as scrolling, posting, accounts preparation etc.
- Bring New Business: Banks also expected that the PO should promote their products to customers as they interact with them on a daily basis. It may include Fixed Deposits, Insurance Policies, and Credit Cards etc.
- Verification of Clerical Work: The PO has to verify all the work done by bank clerk. All the transactions of bank involve the role of the maker and checker. For example, in cash transactions, if clerk is the maker, then the PO is the checker; in case of loans, generally he/she is the maker and bank manager is the checker. The responsibility of losses resides with the checker.
- Loan Processing: One of the major functions of the bank i.e. providing loan to the needful is also takes care of by a PO. Before granting the loan to the customer, all the documentation is to be done under his/her supervision
- Other Knowledge: It is anticipated that a PO should be aware of all the latest developments of the bank. They are required to read all the circulars and should know about all the decisions taken by the bank management.
After completion of the probation period, they confirmed as an Assistant Manager and get permanent posting. Nowadays, some banks are organizing a test for the confirmed officers and if anyone passed this exam, he/she can be placed as a Deputy Manager also.
The career growth prospect of a bank PO is very high as compared to other government jobs. Based on your skills and performances, you can quickly climb the ladder and attain high level banking posts in your zone.
To be eligible for this post you should be Graduate from any stream and your age should be between 21 to 30 years.
Graduates fresh out of college & those without any experience in banking field who wish for a career in government Banks can go for this job.
First, you should be Graduate from any stream. After this, you have to pass an entrance exam, group discussion and then personal interview. The entrance exam is held by every bank time to time. To know about the date of this exam you should keep your eyes on the employment newspapers or check on Bank websites.
After clearing both written exam and personal interview, you become a Bank PO.
A Bank Probationary officer's starting salary in most of public sector banks and even in some private banks is same. The salary of a bank PO could be around 30k to 35k per Month.